Saturday, February 18, 2012

Green-winged Teal

One week ago, I made a check on a small pond in a residential neighborhood that in the past has hosted numerous Blue-winged Teal and Ring-necked Ducks. They were there that day, too, and I decided I had better make an accurate count for my eBird report. Glad I did.

At first glance, I never even saw the Green-winged Teal hiding with the Blue-winged. As I was counting the latter, a pair of the former wandered out ahead of them. Once separated, you can't miss the male of the species.

Green-winged Teal

All of the birds were moving swiftly away from land and I only managed these two good shots before they were too far away. Unlike previous finds, I decided not to share this one. If I did, the quiet little housing area would be over-run with my fellow birders. That might cause a bit of ire. This one is mine.

Green-winged Teal

I returned today to see it they remained. Green-winged Teal do not usually stay inland here for very long. I had one near home last year but it only stayed a couple of day and that was a female. The day was cloudy with light rain so the light was not as good as I had hoped for but the male was still here.

Green-winged Teal

Hope it sticks a bit longer for another try.

No comments: