Sunday, January 22, 2012

Visiting an Old Friend

Since I had a little more time today, I decided to head over to Astatula and see how the Say's Phoebe was doing. I didn't spot it on the fence it has been on for the past few years so I began to worry. I headed across the road and scanned the other pasture. Still no luck. I started wondering if other birds were around so I half-heartedly scanned the entire area for any signs of birds. Nope.

Just as I was about to give up, I saw a flash out in the field near a large cart now in the field. I waited. It flashed out again and disappeared. Had to be the Say's. Yep. Now using the cart to hide and perch upon. I have revisited this bird for 5 years now and this is the best I can do.

Say's Phoebe

It typically stays way out in the center of the pastures on either side of Ranch Road. When it switches sides, I do not know, but it is always about the same distance away. At least with the new lens I can make out the shape and colors better. Again, this species is typically a Western bird, rarely found in Florida. Definitely good enough for an ID verification.

Say's Phoebe

There weren't a lot of birds out this day. It was nearing noon and the winds were up so besides the Say's I only found an American Kestrel and a few Palm Warblers near the doves down the road. So I headed out along Ranch Road hoping to find some Bluebirds or Florida Scrub Jays. No sign of either but there were a lot of Tree Swallows. I decided to head home.

As I neared the Say's site again, I noticed a speck on the wires ahead. Bluebird! Actually closer than I had expected. Too bad it wouldn't come closer or pose in a more natural setting.

Eastern Bluebird

I looked behind me and noticed another spec out on the fences. The female Bluebird was waiting for me to leave.

Eastern Bluebird

I had to linger a bit longer, however. I noticed a lot of activity in the nearby oak. Mostly Palm Warblers but there was more yellow in there so I stepped out to investigate. Sure enough, there were several Pine Warblers joining in the hunt for tasty insects.

Pine Warbler

Seems like there are more Pine Warblers around this year. Maybe the warmer weather has something to do with it. Or maybe the warmer weather has me out there looking more!

Pine Warbler

Either way, it is only January and the Pine Warblers and other birds are singing their Spring songs and I couldn't be happier.

No comments: