Monday, January 16, 2012

Gull and Dove

Before I get to the Merritt Island post(s), I forgot about a couple new birds for the year. The first bird I saw when I got to the Jay Watch luncheon was a Bonaparte's Gull that was hanging out on a sand bar. They are one of our Wintering birds and are sought after by birders every year. Didn't even have to look hard for this one.

Bonaparte's Gull

Leaving the luncheon, I stopped by a little park along the highway just to check it out. As soon as I stepped out of the van I saw two birds in a tree. That position is contrary to their name: Common Ground Dove.

Common Ground Dove

You can find the tiny Ground Doves in various habitats but they are very skittish and are difficult to photograph. I was happy to get them in a calm mood for once. Such a cute little thing.

No comments: