Monday, January 02, 2012

Revisiting Greenwood

In the past, I used to go down the street to the Greenwood Wetlands a lot. Some of my 'getting serious' about trying to photograph birds days. Once our first son was born and walking, I used to take him over there and we would walk the loop. Until the visiting dogs scared him. I still ventured over from time to time until they started dredging the small pond near the road. Then the eagles in the adjoining cemetery grabbed more attention.

On the way to the store, I noticed something new in the pond. A bunch of Ring-necked Ducks! They haven't been there in ages. I decided to stop by on the way back. Any excuse to try the new lens some more.

Over 30 ducks were there. Probably part of the larger flock from the Lake Davis crew. It is only a few blocks away. Here is a good shot of a male and female together. Hard to get a shot of individuals as the flock usually sticks close together.

Ring-necked Duck

Not much else around that I noticed right away. Until I looked up. I totally missed that there was a Wood Stork right above me in a pine tree!

Wood Stork

My first memory of Wood Storks was while driving home to Key West and my Dad pointing out a few of them in a ditch along the turnpike. He mentioned they were a rare sight back in the 70s. They are now doing quite well in the state and can be found readily all over, especially in the Winter when they flock to smaller lakes to feed.

Wood Stork

Wood Storks are cool.

No comments: