Thursday, January 19, 2012

Black Point Drive, Part 2

Now that I had gotten my target bird, Gadwall, I continued my tour of the loop at Black Point. I wanted to try and make it around to the entrance again before dark so I made my way down the road, stopping briefly to get some other shots along the way. Just past Stop 7 I spotted a small flock of American Avocets resting in the shallow water.

American Avocet

To the right, a Belted Kingfisher watches for its next meal.

Belted Kingfisher

Some of the driving was slow as tourist stopped in the middle of the road to stare at something they have never seen before like this gator drifting up near Stop 10. "That's a baby!," I told them as I passed them on the left.

American Alligator

Back to the entrance and back to Stop 4 to see if the Gadwall had come closer to the road. Nope. Oh, well. I had the ID shots I was after so now a I could take a casual drive as sunset approached. There were not a lot of shorebirds around only a Semipalmated Plover...

Semipalmated Plover

...and a few peeps on the mud flats.

Peep

I relocated the Reddish Egret that was posing during my last trip. This time it was dancing around and fishing.

Reddish Egret

Drifting by in one of the impoundments, a male Northern Pintail. Such an impressive duck.

Northern Pintail

Approaching the Avocet flock again, I found a Snowy Egret cruising the edge of the road.

Snowy Egret

As the last of the day's sunshine finally breaks through the clouds a Pied-billed Grebe chugs along.

Pied-billed Grebe

Nearby, a pair of Hooded Mergansers looks for a place to rest for the night.

Hooded Mergansers

Finally, a flock of Roseate Spoonbills glows in the waning light. One even yawns as I make my way towards home.

Roseate Spoonbill

12 hours and 300 miles later and I can get some sleep myself. A long day but an inspiring one. I love Black Point Drive.

No comments: