Sunday, January 29, 2012

Diving Hooded Mergansers

I always try to look for the Wintering Hooded Mergansers when I leave the banding site. Last week, a mowing crew scared everything away but today I happened upon a flock of Mergansers as I circled the back parking lot. Luckily, this flock was too close to shore to be able to hide before I got a few shots off.

Hooded Merganser

As the flock moved away. I was able to get a few more shots. This one was closer than the last and I was trying to focus in on the male.

Hooded Merganser

Before they drifted out too far I got the male singled out.

Hooded Merganser

When the birds are either hungry or frightened, they dive under the water to either grab food or swim underwater as far as they can to avoid any danger.

Hooded Merganser

Once they have reached their goal, the birds re-emerge from under the pond and show off their new hair-dos.

Hooded Merganser

A female was also diving with that male. Though they do not sport the contrasting black and whites, they are still pretty little ducks.

Hooded Merganser

The number of ducks is fluctuating but I enjoy seeing even a single bird during this time of year. Fortunately, there have been nearly a dozen every week. Mergansers are cool.

No comments: