Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Migration North is Almost Here

March already? Not much even happened in February...

I figured I had better stop by the local lakes to get a shot of some Ruddy Ducks. Almost time for them to head back north. They usually are resting out near the center of Lake Davis but this afternoon they were sitting and slashing near the shore.

This female Ruddy seemed quite comfortable.

Ruddy Duck

I was especially interested in attempting to get a shot of the male. He was a bit farther out but not to far out to not be able to see his bill and plumage changing toward his Summer attire.

Ruddy Duck

Also along the shoreline was a beautiful Tri-colored Heron who didn't seem to mind my close proximity at all.

Tri-colored Heron

On the way back to the car I spotted another bird ready to head home. A Yellow-rumped (Mytle) Warbler. Haven't seen as many this year.

Yellow-rump

Time to go searching before all the Winter birds turn towards their Summer home.


No comments: