Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Starling and Red-bellied Woodpecker

I wandered over to Greenwood Wetlands to check out the action, if any. I was hoping to get some shots of the nesting Pileated Woodpeckers at the cemetery but had no luck. Eagles weren't around, either.

So, I strolled the small lakes of the wetlands. Red-winged Blackbirds were calling. A heron here, Moorhen there. Not too much happening. There were a pair of Limpkin hanging out on the far shore but not much else.

On the way back to the car, however, I did get some cooperative Starlings. Usually, they take off on close approach but this trio was more interested in feeding and let me get some shots that were not like my previous attempts that were 30 feet overhead on a power line. This shot was my favorite.

European Starling

Even though they are invasive, looking at this coloration, how can you not like them just a little bit?

A little farther up, almost at the parking lot, a woodpecker flew in and posed for a few moments just above me.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Every bird in the neighborhood is showing signs of preparing for the nesting season. Can't wait.

No comments: