Saturday, March 22, 2008

Greenwood Eagles

Had a few minutes so I drove back into the cemetery to see if I could get a glimpse of the Pileated Woodpeckers nesting in the dead eagle tree. As soon as I got out of the van I heard a cry and looked east. Flying toward me were 3 juvenile Bald Eagles. These were the young that fledged just before the old nest fell from the tree a couple of weeks ago.

Bald Eagle

Not far behind them was Momma who landed on a nearby pine tree as the 3 youngsters landed in the nest tree. One of the 3 flew off again soon to be joined by Pop. The two of them headed out toward the neighboring lakes. The other two sat up top and watched as Momma called out to remind them where she was.

Bald Eagle

Soon, Pop flew back in carrying a fish. He landed above me and one of the fledglings tried to move in for a snack. The two were trying to get the fish into position when it came loose and fell 50 feet to the ground not far from where I stood. Both of the eagles just kind of stared at the fish but didn't try to go after it.

The look, to me, said, "Dang...".

Bald Eagle

A few minutes later, Momma flew in from her perch and scooped up the fish and quickly had the 3 others following after her. A very interesting episode to behold.

Then I remembered. I was here to look for woodpeckers. They didn't disappoint.

Pileated Woodpecker

On the way back to the van I had a quick encounter with a Northern Mockingbird.

Northern Mockingbird

Never know what you might find when you aren't even looking for it...

No comments: