Monday, March 24, 2008

Still Thinking of Yellow-headed Blackbirds

Like I suggested at the end of the last post on the Yellow-headed Blackbird, I couldn't get it out of my head. I needed to swing around the area today and see if it was still around.

I didn't find it near the restaurant so I hurried across the street to Lake Mendsen (it DOES have a real name) and stepped out of the van to the sound of a really raspy call in the bull rushes. Not two minutes later, the bird appeared.

It was in shade and in the rushes for most of the time. Then it flew off across the lake and, soon, back again. I lost sight of it and was about to give up. I headed back toward the van and couldn't believe what I saw. The bird was feeding along the ground, again in shade, right near the parking lot!

Yellow-headed Blackbird

Just after that shot it flew over the hotel and back toward the restaurant. I let it be. Nearby, Boat-tailed Grackles cleaned up and fed along the shore.

Boat-tailed Grackle

Next, a very inquisitive White Ibis flew down next to me and posed in the light of the setting sun. One of my favorite Ibis shots to date. Much more impressive in a larger format.

White Ibis

Someday, I hope to get a more clear shot of the Blackbird. It was nice to have it around. Hope it makes it back to its real home.

No comments: