Thursday, March 27, 2014

Looking Along Lake Berry

I had to spend some time in Winter Park today and took the free moments to walk along the shore of Lake Berry. There were not a lot of birds around but I did find some things to shoot over an hour here and there. I could hear warblers in the oaks but they were not in any real good positions for a photo. I had to settle for a Yellow-rumped (Myrtle sub-species)Warbler in the grass before much else was to come.

Myrtle Warbler

I had to work hard to find any other warblers but did get a quick look at a Yellow-throated Warbler feeding through the leaves.

Yellow-throated Warbler

I started hearing Red-winged Blackbirds calling and tried to ease closer in hopes of getting a shot of one. Suddenly, one of the males rose up to take a look at what I was up to.

Red-winged Blackbird

Even in bad light, it is nice to view these birds and hear their calls. I grew up in Florida and Red-winged Blackbird calls are part of my earliest memories.

Red-winged Blackbird

Looking over toward a dock, I found another familiar sound. The call of a Wood Duck. A male was very weary of my approach but I got a couple shots before it joined others of its species soon afterwards.

Wood Duck

At the end of another dock, a male Anhinga in breeding plumage was drying its wings.

Anhinga

I had to go back inside for a bit but when I came back I spotted a Tricolored Heron moving in to feed near the shore. It flew toward me and I tried a bunch of different exposures for a good picture.

Tricolored Heron

This Tricolored Heron was also in breeding plumage and didn't mind me standing next to the water as it searched for minnows.

Tricolored Heron

A female Red-winged Blackbird looked on as I shot the heron and I got as close as I could for a good ID view.

Red-winged Blackbird

I had been monitoring a Green Heron in different positions for quite some time before it decided to get close enough for a better angle. I wasn't even aware of it at the time, but I ended the morning shoot with my favorite shot of the day as it was climbing around the pads.

Green Heron

Green Herons are one of my most liked lake birds. They are often secretive and having them wander around at close range is always a treat.

Not too bad for a lakeside visit.

No comments: