Thursday, March 20, 2014

Birding While Waiting For Music

My son and a few other band members were selected for State Solo and Ensemble being help up in Sanford and I had to take him and hang out before they performed.

Seminole High Sign

It was a nice day but I wasn't hearing much bird activity. In fact, the only thing that caught my attention for the first 30 minutes was a cloud with a pileus-type skirt.

Cloud

A small flock of Cedar Waxwings flew by at one point but I couldn't get a bird photo until I circled around the back of the school and found some Yellow-rumped Warblers on the edge of the woods.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

I made my way to the opposite side of campus and was hoping to get some views out on the lake. However, the vegetation was too thick. Then I spotted a flock of White Ibis feeding in a retention pond. Many of them were males in full breeding colors.

White Ibis

On the other end of the pond was a younger male and a juvenile White Ibis feeding by themselves.

White Ibis

Back near the lake, a male Boat-tailed Grackle called and played with twigs.

Boat-tailed Grackle

The school is in the flight path of a major airport not far away and large planes would head in for a landing every few minutes.

Airplane

A female Boat-tailed Grackle flew into the retention pond to try its luck for a meal.

Boat-tailed Grackle

Then, several of the male White Ibis began bathing in the shallow water.

White Ibis

Splish, splash!

White Ibis

Soon, it was time to go in for the performance. The kids did great on some intricate pieces. The Quintet earned scores of 'Excellent' and I coaxed them into letting me get a group shot. Great job, gang!

Quintet

There are a lot of very talented kids in the band, as always. My son is in his senior year and still has a Wind Ensemble competition and a Jazz concert to come before the end of the year. Then off to college. My, how time flies...

No comments: