Saturday, March 22, 2014

Day Two of Cedar Waxwing Watching

I headed out a little earlier today to see if I could get some better shots of the Cedar Waxwings in better light. There was still plenty to eat and plenty of Waxwings to watch.

Cedar Waxwing

Instead of Palm Warblers that were also in the tree yesterday there were many Yellow-rumped Warblers joining in on the feast.

Myrtle Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler

I have never eaten a Loquat fruit but if it makes Waxwings lick their 'lips' they must be pretty tasty.

Cedar Waxwing

Yellow-rumped Warblers are primarily insectivores and I was actually surprised to see some eating berries on a Wax Myrtle (where this subspecies, 'Myrtle Warbler, gets its name) last month. Today they were sampling the Loquats.

Myrtle Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler

Another insect eater, a Downy Woodpecker, was also spied eating the fruit.

Downy Woodpecker

A group of ladies out for a walk stopped after they noticed the birds and asked about them. I explained the species and that they will be going back North soon, all the while snapping photos. Good thing I kept trying for the photo I wanted. One of the ladies suddenly made a move that frightened all the Cedar Waxwings back high into the surrounding Oak trees. That last shot was my best of the morning.

Cedar Waxwing

Sometimes the Waxwings are here into mid-April. Might still be a chance for more fun viewings.

No comments: