Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Strolling Through the Park(s)

I was on a mission to look for some Red-breasted Nuthatches. Not that they are really here in the center of the state but they are all over on the coasts this year. I just wanted to see if maybe, just maybe, I could find some pine trees and the birds.

Guess what? No luck.

The only really dense stand of pines that I could recall nearby was down by the high school at Wadeview Park. It was a nice day for a walk but no Nuthatches. I had to settle for a pretty Northern Mockingbird that was chasing off Common Grackles in the shade.

Northern Mockingbird

Squirrels are a dime a dozen but how could I pass up a shot like this?

Gray Squirrel

The following day I stopped by Mead Garden after our banding day to see what was what. Really not a lot of activity anywhere in the park. It was near noon so I wasn't totally surprised. A Downy Woodpecker was feeding in the trees but I didn't feel like taking a photo. However, the bird kept getting closer and closer and wouldn't leave. Oh, alright...

Downy Woodpecker

Myrtle Warblers are returning in big numbers now. Many of them were along the river feeding in the branches.

Myrtle Warbler

Nice to have a big yellow patch on this bird to reveal it as an adult male. Seems all I ever see are females until Spring.

Myrtle Warbler

Not a lot of time to actually bird this week. Maybe I can find a new duck on my drives home.

No comments: