Friday, November 09, 2012

Loggerhead Shrike

It has been quiet in the area of late. Clear skies, breezy, cool. Great weather to be outdoors but doesn't seem to be inviting too many birds to watch. So I was very pleased to be sitting at work and seeing a Loggerhead Shrike fly up to the small oak in the parking lot.

Loggerhead Shrike

This bird was very busy looking in all directions. Typically we have a bunch of dragonflies drifting about but today the breezy winds and gusts seemed to have cleared them out. Still, it was so busy looking here and there that it barely gace me any noticed as I shuffled outside to try for some close photos.

Loggerhead Shrike

Loggerhead Shrikes are mostly seen on overhead wires or on fence rails watching for insects. Every now and then I will find one atop a small tree like this one. The ones on wires and fences often seem to be more skittish.

Loggerhead Shrike

Fun fact: Loggerhead Shrikes are sometimes called "Butcher Bird" due to their eating habit. If the bird catches something of good size (I have seen photos of them capturing small mice!) they impale the prey on a thorn, branch, or even barbed wire where they can tear off pieces while eating.

Loggerhead Shrike

Shrike populations are on the decline. There were a couple years where I can't even recall seeing them in Orlando. I use to find entire families of them year ago. Forunately, I have been seeing more and more of them this year. I even found newly fledged birds near downtown last February.

Loggerhead Shrike

I hope those sightings continue and that the Shrikes can rebound. They are super cool to watch. Not to bad to look at even those they are all shades from white to black and all the greys. Works out perfectly against a blue sky, don't ya think?

No comments: