Monday, November 26, 2012

Airport Loggerhead Shrike

What a way to start the day after Thanksgiving. I wen tout to the van to do my lake checking and "CLICK-CLICK-CLICK" is all I get. AAA claims it is the alternator so I get it jumped and drive to the Sears. They doubt it is the alternator. I leave the van and begin walking home. It is only just over 2 miles and the weather was perfect. Might see some birds along the way.

Not too much until I got to the edge of the airport. There I saw a couple birds wrestling on the grass. Just seeing gray and white, I assumed they were Mockingbirds. Nope. Loggerhead Shrikes. One stayed on the fence and the other flew off. I walked over slowly and the remaining bird and I hung out for a while.

Loggerhead Shrike

It was fun standing on the edge of a busy street side and the end of the airport runways watching this little bird hunt for food. It would scan the air and the ground between me and fence and suddenly...

Loggerhead Shrike

...jump off the edge.

Loggerhead Shrike

There, only about 6 feet or so away from me, it would double check the grass up close. Still amazes me that I am staring at the same spot and only see grass and a few butterflies but the Shrike sees something.

Loggerhead Shrike

Only once or twice did it even appear that this bird even paid me any attention.

Loggerhead Shrike

Then, pluck!, it snatches a caterpillar and heads back to the barbed wire.

Loggerhead Shrike

It began trying to do the signature motions of the 'butcher bird' by thrashing the prey against the barbs in an attempt to impale it for eating.

Loggerhead Shrike

However, it never succeeded in that endeavor and often stopped between tries. It finally gave up and swallowed the insect whole.

Loggerhead Shrike

Before I left the scene the bird did a move I had not seen before. It jumped to the ground next to me, squatted, and fluttered its wings while staring straight ahead. I wasn't able to get the shots I wanted but I watched as it fluttered 2 or 3 times until another unseen bug flew up from the dirt and was quickly grabbed by the Shrike for a tasty snack.

Loggerhead Shrike

Back to the wire and I figured it was time for me to head down the trail.

Loggerhead Shrike

I am so glad to have so many Loggerhead Shrikes in the area again. I never tire of seeing them and watching them go through their hunting behaviors. Wonder what is awaits at the park ahead...?

No comments: