Monday, November 19, 2012

Hooded Mergansers Return a Bit Early

Early? Well, a little earlier than last year. Last year I got my first confirmed sighting at this location on the 27th. Always nice to round the curve and finally see the first Mergansers of the season.

Hooded Merganser

It appears that only one male was out there but there were 4 females.

Hooded Merganser

The male tried to stay under water most of the time but I did get him in my sights a few times.

Hooded Merganser

When the birds are in this small pond they spend a lot of time diving to grab food under the lily pads. Up and down, up and down.

Hooded Merganser

Now they are here. I can relax a bit and try for closer shots as the Fall settles in.

Hooded Merganser

I wish they were here year-round. But that might take away some of my true enjoyment every time I do see them. Plus, I know where these birds will be for many months to come.

No comments: