Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Violet-green Swallow

I have mentioned my desire to get a shot of Violet-green Swallows. I had hoped to find them on the last trip but we were just a few weeks early for them to return. Where do I find the first sighting? At the hotel in SEATAC. Didn't have the camera then but they are always flying so quickly it wouldn't have mattered. I saw a lot of them on this trip but usually directly overhead at high speed.

While I was making my way to the neighborhood park I saw more of the birds flying overhead and I tried to get some shots but gave up after 20 minutes. I continued my stroll and caught a bird flying to a house to my right.

Violet-green Swallow

The bird zoomed out after a few seconds and I could tell it was my target bird. Does it really have a nest in that attic?! I watched for a while longer and the bird returned and left just as quickly. It was a Violet-green, after-all. I spent the next 20 minutes focusing on the spot and tried to get a shot as it bolted from the nest. It was not easy. Finally, I got a shot of an adult female heading back out for food.

Violet-green Swallow

As I waited, I had the good opportunity to meet a couple of the Neighborhood Watch members wondering what this stranger with a large camera was doing standing in front of a house. I explained about the swallows and, luckily, one flew right past us as I was talking about them. Satisfied, they left me to my obsession.

I didn't even know it then but I even got a shot of an adult male making a trip!

Violet-green Swallow

My Number One bird on my Wish List for this trip finally caught on...not film...sensor? Memory card? Whatever. Mission accomplished. Annnnnnnnd relax.

No comments: