Sunday, August 07, 2011

Theler Wetlands, Part 2

After our Kingfisher encounter, we headed toward the car to make our way to a meet up with the rest of the family for dinner. Song Sparrows continued to zip across the trail and would sometimes sit out in the open.

Song Sparrow

Up in the reeds in front of us Red-winged Blackbirds mingled about and I noticed one bird in particular that looked a bit different. What some folks call a "Lizard Head". This is because they are birds with no head feathers and really show their dinosaur heritage.

Red-winged Blackbird

It is not known for sure why this happens but some speculate it is due to mites that get on the birds and they shed the feathers to get rid of the mites. We see this in Cardinals back East.

Bald Eagles cruised the marsh and Pacific Wrens scurried into the grasses as we walked along. Soon, I noticed a bird house on a post that was bulging with grass. As I approached, a swallow darted out and back to the box.

Tree Swallow

My mind was racing, as was my heart rate, and I thought it was a Violet-green Swallow. I have been trying to get a good look at one for years. Could I be this lucky to have one right in front of me with a nest?

Tree Swallow

Once I calmed down I realized it was a Tree Swallow. Oh, well. At the time I was busy trying to get every shot I could so I kept snapping away and getting as close as I could without spooking the bird.

Tree Swallow

I didn't have to worry too much. It just sat and posed and kept a close watch on me. Even when the other family members caught up to me the bird remained on the lid of the box.

Tree Swallow

I think I even let out a, "Yes!" at some point since I couldn't believe I was getting such excellent shots. I could have sat there all day and exhausted my card space. But we had to leave.

Tree Swallow

If I lived anywhere close to this spot I would be out here ALL the time. Bet it is really hopping during migration. Thanks for taking me out there, Bill! I hope to be back someday.

No comments: