Monday, August 08, 2011

Port Orchard, July 3rd 2011

Another dawn and another trek around the neighborhood. A lot of Song Sparrows were flitting about and I even spotted a couple of juveniles.

Song Sparrow

Nearby, I noticed a nest hanging in the branches. I have been unable to figure out what species it belongs to. Anyone?

Nest

I saw a couple of small birds taking off across the street and went over to investigate. A neighbor was tending the yard and her dog ran over to play with me. I hoped it would scare off the birds but it stayed right next to me as I looked for them and got a couple shots. They were nice adult Dark-eyed Juncos of the Oregon sub-species.

Dark-eyed Junco

Last night I heard a strange song as we returned to the house. It took me all night to get the sound sorted out. It was an American Robin! When they come to Florida in the Winter they do not sing, they only make flight calls. Nice to actually hear their full voice. Many of them were feeding today including this one with the iconic pose with a tasty worm in its bill.

American Robin

My main objective was to get up to the small park down the road to see what might be there. Hadn't been there in ages. I was detoured by some other birds but that will be the next post. When I got to the park (smaller than I remembered) there were loads of birds flying near the ground. In the low light I couldn't tell exactly what they were.

Dark-eyed Junco

I tried to make them something new but all I can conclude is that they were a flock of juvenile Dark-eyed Juncos. Juncos are the only birds with white outer tail feathers that I can find and the good folks at Tweeters birding forum confirm it.

Dark-eyed Junco

Back at the house, Spotted Towhees were creeping through the shadows.

Spotted Towhee

The males were zipping by all over the place, calling and feeding. This female stayed in place and preened for a while as I tried to get a good shot. It was so dark under the trees that this was the best I could do.

Spotted Towhee

Time to put the camera down for a few minutes but not before I took this shot of a small yellow flower in the neighborhood. Still trying to find out what it is.

Yellow Flower

I love this part of the country. Finding the birds in the dense canopy is a challenge but that is part of the fun. Now we have to head off to Bainbridge Island for the family reunion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The yellow flower is a Buttercup. All over the Northern states. So named as the story goes, because children would hand one to someone and say, "Do you like butter?" and ask them to hold it under their chin. In their chin turned yellow, which it would inevitably do from the pollen, they liked butter! As a child I picked loads of these back in PA and are still a favorite "weed," of mine. Yes, sadly just a lowly little weed now to most homeowners, although beautiful in the wild and some varieties are grown in gardens.