Saturday, August 06, 2011

Theler Wetlands, Part 1

My brother-in-law Bill wanted to show me Theler Wetlands 5 years ago but time was short and I was itching to get to Nisqually that year. Today we headed over to this excellent spot in Belfair, Washington.

Theler Wetlands

We took the left-hand trail out to the marsh boardwalk and immediately spotted Barn Swallows cruising over the grasses. Soon, one landed on a stump but took off before I could get a shot. I tried getting some flight shots but they were really moving. I stayed and tried more shots while Bill and his son headed for the end of the walk.

The swallow flock kept flying to a spot under the walk so I watched a little more. Suddenly, one of the swallows landed on the railing and was then joined by another. I took small steps toward them and to my surprise they allowed me to get pretty close. Like, real close.

Barn Swallow

While these birds rested on the railing I determined that they were young and the adults would fly by to make sure I wasn't a threat.

Barn Swallow

Eventually they flew off to join the adults. A couple of American Goldfinches zoomed by past us as we made our way to the other trail.

Barn Swallow

We headed down the trail and noticed some Mallards off to the side. Then a sound I really wasn't expecting erupted from the reeds and a couple of Red-winged Blackbird flew up into the trees. Don't know why I thought this species wouldn't be out here. Rounding a curve, a Fox Sparrow jumped out onto the trail and then back into the brush. Song Sparrows were flying all around.

On a branch overhanging the water, I spotted a Belted Kingfisher. I tried to get closer and it flew off, chattering away. Then I noticed that there was another. I had to ease out into some willows but the wind blowing grass and limbs back and forth made shooting a bit tricky. Eventually I got a pretty good shot.

Belted Kingfisher

It took me a minute to realize it was holding a fish! I noticed another Fisher on another branch and then another. All in all, there were 5 in the tree and I figured it was the whole family. Two adults and three young. Guess they brought the fish for the kids and it just didn't know quite what to do with it.

Belted Kingfisher

Soon, a noisy family came walking down the trail and scared all of the birds off. We turned back to head toward the car. I was still cursing the family for spoiling my shot opportunities when an adult landed on a post right out in front of me. The rusty belt shows this was a female.

Belted Kingfisher

There were more birds along the way and I will post them tomorrow.

No comments: