Friday, August 19, 2011

Viera Wetland Detour

I was headed home after the first day of Jay Watch and figured that since I was in the area, or closer than I might be in a long time, I veered South to check out Viera Wetlands near Melbourne, FL. There have been reports of sightings of Fulvous Whistling Ducks the past few days and I hoped for at least a distant glimpse.

I first swung around the Click Ponds and came upon a huge flock of birds, mostly Roseate Spoonbills.

Roseate Spoonbill

Closer to the shore, a Snowy Egret waits for a meal.

Snowy Egret

The small pines that line the right side of the cells held a few Fish Crows resting and searching the area for opportunities.

Fish Crow

I scanned the cells for the ducks. Not much on the beginning side but a few Moorhens and a nice Great Egret posing on a palm stump.

Great Egret

Swinging around the far side turned the light the wrong way but I couldn't resist still trying for a decent shot of the local Limpkin.

Limpkin

Throw in a badly lit White Ibis and it bookends that side of the drive.

White Ibis

Flying overhead, an Osprey zoomed in a circle and landed on one of the dead trees and constantly looked back and forth for the next fish to appear.

Osprey

The most surprising moment of the trip was when a doe and fawn appeared right in front of me on the drive. The doe quickly crossed the road and waded into the cell.

Deer

The fawn was not so sure about this move and stayed on the fence side. I was hoping it would cross, too, but it just kept to the tree side and refused to. So, I had to get a poor shot through the windshield.

Deer

Once I passed the fawn, it circled back to join its mother. Once it was safely behind me I continued my search. A flash of blue caught my eye and soon found a feeding Purple Gallinule. It would never come into view more than this, though.

Purple Gallinule

Resting on a culvert, an Anhinga sized me up.

Anhinga

I wasn't really looking for Least Bitterns but we all know they are there. Once one showed itself in the reeds I just had to slow for a few shots.

Least Bittern

At one point, it seemed to be saying, "Farewell!" as I headed out of the wetlands for the drive home.

Least Bittern

Alas, no Fulvous Whistling Ducks for me. I will have to try some other place at some other time in the future.

No comments: