Monday, February 06, 2006

The Robins Have Landed

Last year, there were huge outcries about the amount of Robins descending on the state. There was even an article about how the strawberry growers were out lighting firecrackers to scare them away. To no avail.

Damage to strawberry crops are common and rather mild in any year so it was just another reason to unduly rile people up from what I have gathered. Set a table and someone is bound to show up sooner or later. Besides, there are always plenty of leftovers!

This year, the amount of wintering birds seems a lot lower than last year. Friends and I have been discussing the quiet around here, especially the lateness of the arrival times for Robin, American Goldfinches, and Cedar Waxwings. Maybe it is the milder climate. Maybe it is right on schedule.

January 30th, 2005 found a large flock of Robins in the backyard. 100s of them. They were hanging out in the oaks and on the ground and taking drinks at the backyard birdbath. I refilled the thing 3 times and they drank it dry every time and then moved on.

I found that date just recently while wondering what last years was like and thumbing through the notebook I keep for bird sightings on trips and in the yard. Though I remember more Robins in the area last year, maybe they are still here in the state as much but not setting down in MY yard.

After a trip to Oakland Nature Preserve yesterday, I arrived home to a lot of noise in the yard. Front and back as far as I could tell. I grabbed the binoculars and scanned the trees. Robins were in the oaks out front. Still more high-pitched calls around the neighborhood and I could tell they were in the back of the house, too.

In the back, dozens of Robins perched in the trees and were landing in the next door neighbor's yard. Most seemed concerned with our Cherry Laurels which began blooming for the first time after Hurricanes Charley, Francis and Jeanne tore through the state in 2004.

Now full of berries, the Robins were having a great feast. This is one view from the boy's window.

Robin

In the preceding days, there have been 100s of Robins flying over the Orlando area. My friend Paul reported 700 the other night. I saw over a 100 just walking to the car that morning. When the boys and I came home on Saturday the sky was a steady stream of flying Robins and cheery flight calls.

Now they are landing to feed again. Only a few days off of last year's date. The Goldfinches are taking longer food breaks and time singing again making them even EARLIER than last year for me.

Let the fun begin. They all leave in a couple of months so I can enjoy them while they last.

Fewer birds than last year? Not so sure. Maybe we were waiting a little too hard. Any Winter visitor is welcome to me.

Anytime.

No comments: