Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Oakland Nature Preserve

Sunday, February 5th found me headed out to find the Oakland Nature Preserve. I left about dawn and figured I had a good idea where it was. So much so that I left my map from the web at work. Piece of cake, yeah?

Nope.

Mostly, the switchbacks and guesses were my fault. Once I got closer, however, the lack of signage provided weren't much help either. They are working on getting established with the Great Florida Birding Trail and that should get them some proper directional signs.

In the meantime, Oakland, Florida is a small town in between Winter Garden and Killarney on the southern edge of Lake Apopka. Quaint little town.

A large cold front moved through the state the day and night before so it was a crisp morning with some gusting winds. The ample sunshine made up for the chill and I almost left my jacket in the car. Glad I didn't.

Headed out to find the boardwalk which leads to the lake. Noticed a path off to the right but decided I would head straight out first. I could hit the wooded path later.

Sign

An excellent boardwalk leads 2/3 of a mile out to the lake. I really like the wire mesh along the sides of the high railing to keep young ones out of the swamp and swamp things off of the boardwalk. Zone markers line the way.

Almost immediately onto the boardwalk I was met by 2 Blue-headed Vireos and a Black and White Warbler. Soon after, a White-eyed Vireo joined in singing all the way. A Palm Warbler flew into the thickets as a large flock of Common Grackles made their way from the direction of the lake.

I headed toward them and they were joined by a flock of Red-winged Blackbirds trailed just behind the Grackles. The air as punctuated by the cries of Red-shouldered Hawks.

Along the way, Common Yellow-throats "chucked" just under the marsh plants. More Western Palms and Myrtle Warblers ushered me toward the edge of the lake. Familiar Cypress trees swayed their moss covered branches in the cold breeze.

A photographer of considerable-gear was at the edge of the overlook at the lake's edge. I asked if there was anything interesting out and about. Not much. An occasions Bald Eagle and the Great Blue Herons were building nests across the way which were easily seen from the overlook. I wished him luck and headed back as an Osprey glided overhead.

Back at the start of the boardwalk, I took the path leading toward the woods, now on my left. Flushed a Mockingbird from a low platform feeder on the edge of the path. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets gleaned the oaks. A Catbird began to scold just ahead.

The end of the path isn't too far so I hit that end and headed back.

Noticed something flying off from the feeder up ahead and then the birds came back. I then noticed the photographer back under the oak branches, lens pointed toward the feeder. I then noticed the birds there were Painted Buntings! Excellent. I waited until Mike (I later introduced myself) was done and motioned that I could walk closer.

I got as close as I could, taking shots along the way. The Buntings flew off eventually and I headed over to chat with Mike. Mike's shots are all part of the Oakland Preserve web site, BTW.

We talked a bit longer and then headed back to the parking lot. Mike pointed out another path through another section of the preserve. We said our farewells and I headed down the trail. Still, I could feel the tug of the Buntings. Hard.

I cut the other trail walk short and made my way back down to the feeder. I sat about 15 feet away and stayed as still as possible and waited. Turns out I didn't have to wait long. The Buntings came back into view in about 5 minutes and cycled through every 15-20 minutes. I actually stayed there for 90 minutes after planning on 30. Just couldn't get the birds to stop on the branches longer.

There were at least 3 males and 1 female granting me a look and a few shots. The Mockingbird and Cardinals were too spooked to trust me.

Painted Bunting

I bet this is a nice spot during migration. I am sure I will drop back by often. More Painted Bunting photos can be found here.

No comments: