Friday, February 17, 2006

GBBC, Day 1

The Great Backyard Bird Count kicked off today and I made sure to swing through certain spots to be certain that some winter visitors would make it to the tally for the Orlando area. Then I started to wonder what photo op might arise so I could send in a shot to the Birdsource folks.

Would it be the Hooded Mergansers? The Scaups? The Ring-necked Ducks? Hmmmm... Then, as I headed around the office complex looking for an opportunity, it struck.

I was on the way to revisit the Mergansers when a bird dropped to the ground, grabbed a stick and went right back up into the tree it came from. Soon it began to sing. I found my photo op.

Not from some exotic visitor. From one of the most common birds around in these here parts. How soon we get distracted by something "new". Something that will take flight as soon as it can.

Instead, I was reminded of a familiar face I have learned to really appreciate over the past 5 years. A bird with so many songs and so loud a voice. A bird of my childhood.

Yep, my Bird of the Day was the Northern Mockingbird. A fine choice, I think.

NOMO

No comments: