Saturday, November 17, 2012

Underbite Mockingbird

Still no ducks out at LaCosta Wetlands so I had to settle for counting the remaining birds in the area. There was a surprise otter sighting but it kept mainly under water as it crossed the ponds. On the way out I noticed a Northern Mockingbird sitting in the top of a small tree. Not having taken too many shots out here, why not? Then I noticed it had some weird bill action going on. Big overbite? Severe underbite? A little of both?

Northern Mockingbird

I have seen other Mockers with deformed bills before but this shape is new to me.

Northern Mockingbird

The bird seemed otherwise healthy so the bill shape probably does not effect it in regards to eating. I will keep an eye out for it during future visits.

2 comments:

Dina J said...

Wow, I've never seen that in a bird. Great catch but hopefully that won't keep the bird from eating.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Happens a lot more than you think. Do a search for deformed bill in images and tons show up!