Monday, May 05, 2014

Surprise! The Mute Swans have a Big Family!!

On another trip to the store I headed around Lake Davis along my usual route and was stopped in my tracks as I hit the edge of the lake drive. I noticed Mute Swans, which I hadn't seen in a while. Guess they were busy as now they were now hanging with six cygnets!

One of the youngsters was sitting on Mom's back and I was saying aloud, "No way!" as I pulled over to get some shots. Last year, this pair had one baby so six was stunning, to me.

Mute Swans

One of the cygnets seemed to be saying, "Dad, why don't I get a ride!?".

Mute Swans

Once I came down to the bank of the lake the Swans turned around back toward me and the few others now gathering behind me. Dad was rafting (some birds and sea mammals raise a leg into the air to regulate body temperature like this) and led the family back towards us.

Mute Swans

This let me get some close up shots of the youngsters. A lady across the street puts out seed every morning and the birds in the lake are always looking for a handout.

Mute Swans

Who can resist trying to get cute shots of a cygnet Mute Swan on a beautiful day? Mute Swans are not native and some do not like the fact that they breed here now but...

Mute Swans

While I was shooting away, a female Boat-tailed Grackle flew in next to me as if saying, "Hey, what about me?". I could barely get it in focus as it came so close.

Boat-tailed Grackle

The Mute Swans soon figured out that we had no food from us and began to head back out into the center of the lake. One of the other cygnets was busy trying to get onto Mom's back to join the current rider. Interesting that I recently saw a post that someone posted that swans do not carry babies on their backs. Need more proof?

Mute Swans

Now that the other baby was on board, they left us.

Mute Swans

Maybe it was the fact that all of the Winter ducks are gone, but I love seeing more bird life next to home. Good luck to the cygnets.

No comments: