Thursday, December 19, 2013

Hooded Mergansers and Others

Stopped by the church retention pond finally after seeing so much activity over the week. Glad I did. Don't think I have ever seen so many Hooded Mergansers there before at one time. They were scattered all over the water and feeding like crazy.

Hooded Merganser

They were pretty far out and moving and diving but I managed a few shots close enough on one pass as I stood on my usual perch near the fence.

Hooded Merganser

I counted over 40 Hooded Mergansers. We shall see how long they hang out as the water levels continue to drop since we have not had much rain in a month.

Hooded Merganser

As the Sun continued to rise I also had a closer view of a White Ibis that flew in close to shore to feed.

White Ibis

I heard Cedar Waxwings to my left and if not for them I would have totally not noticed the Great Blue Heron sitting in a tree near the pond.

Great Blue Heron

Directly below the heron was a single female Blue-winged Teal. They usually are in groups nearer to the house but this one was all alone.

Blue-winged Teal

I am always amazed at how much food is in little ponds around the area. There must be plenty of food to sustain a large group of birds like this, especially since they have been there for over a week. I wonder how long until they exhaust the supply?

No comments: