Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Birding in Between Presents

Spent the morning opening presents at home and then went off to edition 2 at the in-laws. They live by a lake so I always have to take a break to look for birds down along the shore when I can. The first trip out did not reveal much but there was at least a Pied-billed Grebe in the lily pads.

Pied-billed Grebe

Looking up, I saw a Great Egret drifting by but not stopping for a better photo.

Great Egret

I did also note some specks approaching from the center of the lake and it turned out to be my first Ruddy Ducks of the season.

Ruddy Duck

I was hoping that they would come closer but something spooked them and they soon headed back out into the safety of the open waters for the rest of the day.

Ruddy Duck

I was called back inside for a family photo and the opening of presents. Then we had to wait a while before eating so I headed back out to the shore. Soon, the Pied-billed Grebe emerged again and began feeding near the dock.

Pied-billed Grebe

I had hoped that the bird would get away from the post of the dock but it soon quickly dove down and brought up something special.

Pied-billed Grebe

An afternoon crawfish was in the bird's bill! You never know what might be lurking under the water.

Pied-billed Grebe

Gulp!

Pied-billed Grebe

Many Palm Warblers were feeding along the fence line and I finally managed to sneak over and get a closer shot before they dove back into the hedges.

Western Palm Warbler

Then I got an unexpected shot. A female Belted Kingfisher flew in, unaware of my hiding place. I will take it!

Belted Kingfisher

Time for dinner. Afterwards, I went out one more time and looked for more birds. Instead, I had another interesting view. Sundogs were beginning to form to the North around the quickly setting Sun. I like how this seems like a prehistoric fish.

TK

Waiting for the next one to the South, I focused on some thicker clouds until a more fully spectral display tried to form.

TK

The dark was fast approaching and it was clear that the human activity would not allow any better bird findings. So, I had to be satisfied with a closing image of a pair of fisher-folk before the last of the rays were gone.

TK

Another year of the end Christmas was upon us. We would end our evening at the Living Nativity soon and then our family had to prepare for a few more days of presents across the state. Not too bad for gifts at the lake.

No comments: