Thursday, August 29, 2013

Demetree Park Red-shouldered Hawk

I spotted a few warblers near home when dropping the oldest at school. I wondered if other places might have some interesting migrants so I later went back to Demetree Park to see what was brewing there. Just before I headed over, though, I searched again for warblers by Lake Lancaster and only found a few Red-eyed Vireos. I hope this isn't the best shot I can get this year...

Red-eyed Vireo

Arriving at Demetree Park, I had to park a bit away from the parking area as there was police activity investigating and abandoned and defiled vehicle. Somebody was sure made at someone. Curse words, in Spanish, were written on all sides. This did not bode well.

I walked along the tree lines and could barely hear any warblers. I decided to head over to the bridge that cuts through across some water between ponds. It usually hold some nice warblers in season. However, as soon as I approached to bridge, I could tell there would be little warbler activity today. A juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk was sitting on a branch right over the water.

Red-shouldered Hawk

The Red-shouldered Hawk was way more interested in whatever it was looking for and let me walk right up close. Eventually, it flew a bit deeper into the branches down the walkway but I was still able to get close.

Red-shouldered Hawk

At least there was now some sunlight in the new spot. I took a ton of shots and it finally gave up and headed off into the woods.

Red-shouldered Hawk

No warblers here for me today. I will have to return by next month, I guess. Can't complain about the hawk shots, though.

No comments: