Thursday, February 21, 2013

Around the Neighborhood

Took a quick walk through a couple parks as the skies began o turn grey and occasionally threatened rain. We have been without rain for so long I actually was hoping it would pour down on me a several points but it was not to be.

I began at La Costa Wetlands. I was told last year that this area has a lot of Winter ducks. I have yet to find a single one. There are other birds there but not a lot of migrants. Shame. I did refind a bird I took a photo of on a previous visit. The Northern Mockingbird with the deformed bill. It was deep inside a tree and you can see a better shot I took last November here.

Northern Mockingbird

Nearby, a Great-blue Heron patrols the pond alone. A few Myrtle Warblers were flying by but there really weren't a lot of birds out here. Go figure.

Great-blue Heron

So, off to Demetree Park. Stepping out of the van revealed that there were a lot of bird noise around so that was a good sign. I made my way to the small boardwalk and didn't have to go much farther. All the birds calling were right in that small area. Over in the pond was a Pied-billed Grebe.

Pied-billed Grebe

Just off to the left, an Anhinga watches on wearily. These birds always think you are going to do them some harm. Just relax, already!.

Anhinga

Just across the sidewalk from the pond was where the action was. The trees were providing shelter and insects and seeds for wave after wave of small birds. Myrtle (Yellow-rumped) Warblers were the most numerous and they even took to the ground to sweep up and bugs from the leaf litter.

Myrtle Warbler

They would even pause at eye level to rest a bit before heading either up or down for more food.

Myrtle Warbler

American Goldfinches were flying in to grab seeds from all kinds of trees but the light was so bad for them I didn't even try. It was all I could do to get a shot of the Cedar Waxwings.

Cedar Waxwing

Robins were blanketing the ground over by the playgound so I slowly moved in that direction. This Red-bellied Woodpecker decided to land right in front of me soI had to stop and take its photo. Thank you, Red.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

I was trying to decide which group of Robins to photograph when a couple of Blue Jay burst through the area and squawked loudly, scaring the Robins up into the surrounding tree. I was left with only a single Robin up on a branch. Thanks, Blue Jays. Not.

American Robin

More rain threatened so I head home to see if the owls might be around. Should be a new addition soon.

No comments: