Saturday, January 26, 2013

Unexpected Spoonbill

A busy work week and then some van trouble led to a pretty dry spell for birding. Throw in that I now have to work a Saturday and that streak looked to continue. Since I had to head in to the office, I decided to take the short detour a few blocks up the way to see what I could see. Never know what might be out on that little pond. Good thing I did.

Down in the pond was a juvenile Roseate Spoonbill! I swung back by before dark to get a photo and it was on the other side of the road feeding with some White Ibis.

Roseate Spoonbill

This is the earliest in the year I have seen one this far inland. Fairly easy to find on the coasts but a nice surprise on a busy day. Last year we had several Spoonbills scattered around Central Florida. This makes the first for 2013.

The Great Backyard Bird Count for 2013 is February 15-18th.
Click the icon to learn more!

Great Backyard Bird Count


No comments: