Monday, January 07, 2013

Other Birds During the Robin Frenzy

The Robin post was already long enough so I decided to show the other bird shots from the same day in a separate post. I could hear a lot of other birds around but I didn't want to leave my spot and miss the Robin shots. Here are the other birds I got shots of.

As I mentioned on the previous post, I went to the cemetery to check out the status of the Bald Eagle nest. Reports are that there may already be hatched chicks and one of the eagles could be seen from the road. So yet another successful breeding season could well be on track.

Bald Eagle

I could hear Titmice, Cedar Waxwing, and saw Northern Flicker but the first bird that came into view after the Robins was a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher that stared at me for a second.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

The one bird species that did surprise me was a small bird that flashed into view in a couple of directions. Chipping Sparrows.

Chipping Sparrow

"Chippies" show up in irregular locations in Central Florida this time of year at feeders so it is always nice to find them in the field.

Chipping Sparrow

Dropping down from the top canopy, a Pine Warbler spent its time browsing the Spanish Moss for insects.

Pine Warbler

Back home, I was happy to see an American Goldfinch in the backyard. They have been seen in larger numbers around this year but for some reason they haven't wanted to hang in my yard much this year. I suspect that the stray cats coming into the yard have something to do with it.

American Goldfinch

Not a bad wrap-up for a lazy Saturday.

No comments: