Sunday, January 20, 2013

Quick Trip Through Mead

We closed up our nets at the end of our weekly banding session and, as I often do, I swung by Mead Garden for quick look around. I was hoping to relocate the Rufus Hummingbird that has been there but it was not to be. There was a large Jewish wedding gearing up and the music and foot traffic was increasing every minute. Not the best hummingbird environment. So, I decided to do a quick scan for anything else. The biggest surprise was a female Merganser hanging out in the Clay Pit retention pond. First time I have ever seen a pond bird in there.

Hooded Merganser

I headed through the butterfly garden and stepped onto the boardwalk and was quickly met by several Western Palm Warblers

Western Palm Warbler

I could hear American Goldfinches out in the marshy areas but they were way up in the Maple trees.

Boardwalk

I just missed a great shot of a Northern Flicker as we surprised each other as I approached a tree. Had to settle for a distant shot.

Northern (Yellow-shafted) Flicker

Many Myrtle Warblers were feeding in the grasses and willows. The flocks were very active and on the move.

Myrtle Warbler

Not too bad for a few minutes but I still want to see that hummingbird again. Maybe next week.

The Great Backyard Bird Count for 2013 is February 15-18th.
Click the icon to learn more!

Great Backyard Bird Count


No comments: