Friday, January 11, 2013

Another Frenzy. Now with Cedar Waxwing Goodness!

A few days ago I posted about the American Robin feeding frenzy at the cemetery. I had no idea I would experience another one so quickly! I was sitting at work noticing a lot of bird activity outside. Eventually, the stream of Robins was making me too twitchy so I headed across the street during my lunch break to see what I could find. Settle in for a lot of photos since I am having trouble editing this bunch.

I had forgotten that Brazilian Peppers were growing back there and now the berries are ripe. As I rounded the corner to the back of the woods the noise hit me. Robins were raiding the peppers big time.

American Robin

Robins were all over the peppers and were even back in the woods and flying in from several directions.

American Robin

Sometimes they would crowd together and other times they would wait their turn. Plenty of food for every one.

American Robin

I could begin to hear a familiar high-pitched sound. Waxwings were around but it took a few minutes for them to come out in the open. I spotted my first one.

American Robin

My first Waxwing of the season! But there would soon be many more.

Cedar Waxwing

It took them a little longer to come out of the shade but I was ready.

Cedar Waxwing

I was just about to get a good Waxwing shot when a Blue Jay came squawking through the crowd and flushed all the feeding birds. I would have to wait a few minutes for the birds to return. The Robins were always the first.

American Robin

The Waxwings were growing more numerous and louder.

Cedar Waxwing

Brazilian pepper is very invasive and is spreading quickly throughout the state. In fact, this bunch of plants were not even here last year. Now they are nearly 20 feet tall and full of berries.

Cedar Waxwing

Secretly, I don't mind all that much. Like the Camphor most people want to get rid of, birds love the berries on but plant species. Of course, that means they get spread even faster. But, dang, it makes a pretty backdrop...

Cedar Waxwing

The only other problem was getting things in focus at times. The birds would flit around very quickly and at other times I would loose a shot when a Robin would land on a limb that a Waxwing was on and dip it out of sight. But then I could just take another photo of a Robin.

American Robin

The next problem will be to decide which of the 200 photos I will add to the wall.

American Robin

The vulture shadows also sometimes spooked the birds and they would take off, circle around and return.

Cedar Waxwing

I like this shot because, when viewed at full size, you can see the Waxwings tongue as he scarfs down peppers.

Cedar Waxwing

And how about those colors on the feather tips glowing in the light?

Cedar Waxwing

I think I like this shot the best since it also shows the crest, love the pose, and the color just works for me.

Cedar Waxwing

I am also just diggin' the feathers on Robins now that I am getting closer shots.

American Robin

Frenzy Number 2 for the year. Sometimes the Cedar Waxwings feed heavily until April so I should be around some more flocks until the migration takes them all home.

1 comment:

warriormom said...

Incredible! What a treat! I usually get a feeding frenzy on my holly once a winter during a snow storm. Haven't seen them yet, though. I'm with you, so hard to choose a favorite. I love the one with the two upside down. Cedar Waxwings just have the best coloring.