Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tracy Arm Birds

Yes, birds! I did take some time to actually look for birds as we ventured through the Tracy Arm fjord.

One of my main target birds for this trip was the Black-legged Kittiwake. I stepped out on the 4th deck to get a better view of our surroundings and a couple were just passing by the boat. Moments later, they were gone. So, not a fantastic shot but nice enough to get started.

Black-legged Kittiwake

As we moved along we came to a spot where a waterfall was entering the water. Hundreds of birds were flying toward this spot and few passed in front of us. Half of the flocks seemed to be Surf Scoters, pronounced ScOH-ter. Long O.

Surf Scoter

These sea ducks are fairly common on the Pacific but usually farther out.

Surf Scoter

The distinctive orange bill and white head patches are easily seen up close.

Surf Scoter

Most of the other flocks were primarily White-winged Scoters. Easy to tell the difference when they are in flight!

White-winged Scoter

Completing the species list in the feeding flock were Pigeon Gullimots. Hard to determine at a long distance but we finally had a few fly close enough to the bow for a nice shot against the blue water.

Pigeon Gullimot

Rounding out the bird list, there was a flock of Northwestern Crows ignoring the waterfall and heading to feed on the small beach nearby.

Northwestern Crow

OK. One more shot. I am not the best with gulls. Especially early-cycle gulls. Gulls take up to 4 years to achieve adult plumage. If anyone knows what these gulls that were sitting on ice on the way out are, please fling a guess my way!

Gulls

Time to head to Juneau!

3 comments:

Melinda Brasher said...

Great picture. I love the puffin shots. I still haven't yet seen one.

Melinda Brasher said...

Oops, I thought those Scoters were puffins.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

There are some Puffin shots somewhere in those trip photos. I will have to look to remind my self!