Friday, July 22, 2011

Mendenhall Glacier

Wasn't sure what to expect as we headed toward Mendenhall Glacier. We saw a lot of pretty flowers along the way. Suddenly, when the glacier came into view over the trees I figured the sight would be interesting. The first sight out of the bus didn't disappoint. As you can imagine, we don't get many glaciers just outside of our town in Orlando.

Mendenhall Glacier

However amazing it was, I was quickly distracted by feathered critters zooming by all over. After I got some family shots in front of the glacier, I headed over to the bus shelter where I noticed a couple birds flying towards over and over. Sure enough, Barn Swallows had nests right there over the heads of the crowds.

Barn Swallow

We headed up the path to the visitor's center. There were many interesting flowers along the way. I had to research them when we got home. There was Northern Yarrow...

Northern Yarrow

...Lupine...

Lupine

...and something called Goat's Beard. All of these flowers were plentiful all over the Alaska countryside.

Goat's Beard

We made a brief tour of the visitor's center and then headed down toward the glacial lake to get a better view of the waterfall. The trail led all the way out but we were short on time so a photo is all we could manage.

Waterfall

Down by the water's edge my wife tipped me off to a chipping sound in the grasses. I couldn't leave until I discovered what was in there. Turned out to be a pair of Lincoln's Sparrows, a Life Bird! They were too fast for a photo so I had to settle for a shot of another Lifer, an Arctic Tern.

Arctic Tern

On the paved path back from the lake we marveled at some other native flowers growing on the granite boulders. You can't miss the bright Fireweed.

Fireweed

We almost missed the other plant down in the shadows. It is called Prickly Saxifrage.

Prickly Saxifrage

Thinking it was some sort of moss, I later discovered by looking closer at the photo that the plant is actually made up of stiff, sharp-looking leaves. Kind of like an aloe. The flowers are really pretty with their little red-orange spots on white petals.

Prickly Saxifrage

We had to head back to the bus but I made a detour down onto the small boardwalk by the bus lanes. A father and his kids were looking at something in the trees but I couldn't see what it was. A little farther down the walk I saw another person starting at a tree. There in the gloom I could just make it out. A Porcupine!

Porcupine

Next adventure? Going on a whale watching trip just up the road at Auke Bay.

No comments: