Friday, July 29, 2011

Glacier Bay-Margerie Glacier, Pt. 1

I ended up with more photos than I thought I would so I will break it into two posts.

The ship drifted up Tarr Inlet and into position in front of Margerie Glacier and the Sun was coming out nicely to provide excellent views.

Margerie Glacier

I was staring off to the right as the ship was pointed directly at the ice when the guy next to me shouted out that he couldn't believe he just saw the glacier calving. Dang. So fast, I missed it! I knew there would be more opportunities to come.

Margerie Glacier

I learned a new word. Sérac. It refers to blocks of ice formed by intersecting crevasses on a glacier. They are named after "a Swiss French ricotta-like whey cheese". Who knew?

Margerie Glacier

Some seracs towered over us of from the top of the glacier. This is another mile-long terminus and we were really close here.

Margerie Glacier

As the air continued to warm there was an echoing 'crack' and bits of ice would begin to fall from the face of ice...

Margerie Glacier

...to plunge into the water below.

Margerie Glacier

But these were just the beginning as the ice groaned and cracked. Sometimes the sound seemed to be coming from deep within the structure and we were constantly scanning the glacier to see if we were missing some new calving. Only the hum of the engines and the murmur of the crowd interacted with the stress-induced creaking.

Margerie Glacier

Suddenly, a new section of ice broke free and cameras clicked away.

Margerie Glacier

More shots to follow. Tomorrow. The bigger chunks happened once our side of the ship was swung around. Not complaining.

No comments: