Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Into Glacier Bay-Lamplugh Glacier

Off to the big event. Glacier Bay. Time to try and see some massive chunks of ice falling into the water!

Day 5 Map

I took a little walk early in the day to get a feel for the weather. Fog was closing in and hopes were dropping as to if we would be able to have a good viewing day for the glaciers. The fog horn even began to sound right after this shot.

Ship Bell

Far off in the distance were a couple of swimming specks. After watching them for as long as I could, I can only determine that they were Sea Otters.

Sea Otter

We entered some of the more narrow portions of the journey and from the room I spotted some specks on the cliffs. Mountain Goats!

Mountain Goat

Pointing the way to the glaciers was a lone Black-legged Kittiwake.

Black-legged Kittiwake

Making our way down to the 4th deck, we discovered we were a little late. To our left was a giant slab of ice that is Lamplugh Glacier. Discovered it is pronounced LAMP-LOW.

Lamplugh Glacier

I found it odd, though, that most folks were more impressed with a tiny subject at the base of the glacier. Just a Bald Eagle, after all. Then I had to remember that a lot of people might not get a chance to see our National Bird as much as I do. Second only to Alaska, Florida has one of the largest concentrations of Bald Eagles in the country.

Lamplugh Glacier

This 8-mile long glacier reaches John Hopkins Inlet at this point but it not as 'active' as other glaciers in the park. Still, pretty to look at.

Lamplugh Glacier

Massive hunks of ice seem ready to topple over but we saw no ice falls.

Lamplugh Glacier

The mix of ice and dirt make for some very interesting patterns along the glacial face, or terminus, where a glacier reaches its end point.

Lamplugh Glacier

I liked this little cave at the base of the terminus. I could imagine an adventure or taking a small boat inside to see if there was a larger cave inside. Don't think that would be a wise trip, though.

Lamplugh Glacier

From the Crow's Nest, Carolyn took this shot before she headed down to join us on the deck. This shot gives a better sense of scale than I can get with my big lens. The terminus is 3/4 of a mile wide and nearly 160 feet tall. That is the height of a 16 story building!

Lamplugh Glacier

I know I mentioned in an earlier post that this was not a landscape blog, but these are glaciers, man! I do get some birds in there most of the time. Next up: John Hopkins Glacier.

No comments: