Thursday, June 17, 2010

Carolina Wren Encounter

No new picture for this post but I wanted to document the event.

I was just filling feeders and hear a quiet call from the Turk's Cap bushes near the back fence. A little exploring led me to the small outline of a young Carolina Wren. It was just singing away until it saw me. Then it did something almost unexpected. It started to hop along the branches toward me.

It stopped just feet away from me, still singing, and was seeming to be just checking me out. Definitely a young bird. This year's model. Which means we have a new generation now. Most likely the offspring of the Carolina Wren I posted about last year. I have been following his progress through the year and was happy a mate showed up late last year.

That bird actually demonstrates the same behavior by coming right up to me if I am out back at the same time. Must be the genetics. Or they just trust me. Either way, it is always a nice experience to have a bird show that much interest and trust about some hulking mammal walking around the yard.

No comments: