Saturday, June 12, 2010

Male House Finch

So, I'm walking out back to check feeders and there is a House Finch sitting on the bird bath. I got closer and it didn't move. In fact it let me get within a few feet of it before flying to a low branch not far away.

Odd thing is, finches are always jumpy and take off well before that close type of encounter. I got closer again and it eventually flew a bit more after I got within a couple of feet. I then went back inside to grab the camera. If it will let me get that open a shot...

By the time I got outside it had moved over to the kitchen side of the house. Back through the house, around the side, and find him again. This time he is sitting on a feeder, tilted to the right as birds do when staring up at a predator. O.K.

By the time I got close again it stood upright once it spotted me but then slowly drifted to the right again. Then it flew to a branch and seemed to drift again. Like it was falling asleep. I took a bunch of shots while I observed it a bit more.

House Finch

Later, it was flying around and feeding so as far as I can guess it probably flew into a window or something and was a bit stunned for a time.

Almost makes me feel bad about getting such good shots. But since it appears alright now...thanks!

3 comments:

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Thanks, Joven!

I will check it out!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your pictures are beautiful. I found your blog through Mike Thomas blog interview. I just did an interview and was worried about what his blog was so I started to search and found you. Like your blog. I'll have to pass your link to my son. He's into taking pictures.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Thanks, Quilter!

I was asked to do the interview a while ago and just got to it this morning.

Feel free to spread the word!