Monday, September 07, 2009

New Carolina Wren

I started to add this post and was going to reference an earlier post. Turns out I never posted this pic before! So...

There has been a young Carolina Wren hanging out in the yard this year. A very curious little bird who often flies up close to me to see what is going on while I walk through the backyard. I finally had the camera near the front of the house when it visited the sunflower feeder there and it posed sweetly for a couple minutes.

Carolina Wren

While filling feeders today I heard a bird calling in the Turk's Cap bush. I couldn't peg the call and ran in to grab the tape record to try for an audio sample. By the time I rushed around the side yard the tune had changed to a more familiar Carolina Wren "tea kettle" call.

I soon located the bird as it sang and hopped around.

This evening, as we readied the grill for shishkabob, I noticed the wren investigating one of its favorite spot under the fire pit. I pointed this out to my wife and then was shocked to see a second shape joining the first.

Seems our little guy has brought along a girlfriend!

Nice to see. Goes along great with the big flock of Red-eyed Vireos that visited today.

No comments: