Monday, June 28, 2010

Busy, Busy Day

Could be that this day was just like any other. Perhaps I just ended up with more good shots from the cam than usual. Or maybe I couldn't decide which images I liked better than others and figured I would just share a lot.

Which ever. Just enjoy the birdcam-y goodness!

We start with another example of how fast the Jays come down to start feeding and another shot of yours truly barely making it to the back of the yard before they do.

Blue Jay

Then they grab their favorite peanut from the mix and head up to the oaks to crack them open.

Blue Jay

The young bunch will often just grab a nut that has already been liberated.

Blue Jay

Sunflower seeds also are a Jay favorite. I have seen them gobble down several at a time, take them up to a branch then spit them up, one by one, to shell.

Blue Jay

Not even sure what this is. Probably a raisin.

Blue Jay

Jays used to grate on me when I was a child. Always so loud and screechy. However, they are now one of my favorite birds. Love that blue, so deep in the adults.

Blue Jay

In low light the cam often makes some interesting captures. Since it is shooting more slowly, a fast moving bird often looks blurred or even rather ghost-like. But it sure does appear that this Blue Jay is freaked out by a headless dove!

Blue Jay and Mourning Dove

However, with proper sunlight shining through we see that head is still there. Whew! Also, it shows us that the juvenile dove is still with us.

Mourning Dove

Nice shift to the White-winged Doves. Kind of a crazy shot but I love how it shows of that white edging and the comparisons between the two species.

White-winged Dove

I was wondering what that clanging was out back. Seems the doves have been fencing as witnessed by their crossed bills. En garde!

White-winged Dove

After the sword fighting has died down, Momma Cardinal swoops down for a snack.

Northern Cardinal

There are always squirrel shots to wade through and every now and then I just get a smile from one or two. Like this one...

Gray Squirrels

...and this one.

Gray Squirrels

Getting long, I know, so I will close out this day with the Red-winged Blackbird family. I don't get a lot of good shots of the adult males. They either eat so fast or with their tails toward the camera. Even though it is not a great shot it does show the male pretty well, his bill covered with food.

Red-winged Blackbird

The females always seem to be much neater when they eat.

Red-winged Blackbird

The young male seems to be taking after Pop, sloppy bill and all.

Red-winged Blackbird

Interesting day but the species counts are evening out. Can't wait until migration gets moving.

No comments: