Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Swallow-tailed Kite at Work

I was heading back to my desk when I start hearing someone calling, "Andrew! Andrew! Andrew!!" from down the hall. Emilie was looking for me to report a Swallow-tailed Kite out over the parking lot. I wandered out with her and the bird was there just along the tree line that decided our office spot from another.

Swallow-tailed Kite

Emile was elated to see this bird right here and was jumping up and down with joy to see a Swallow-tailed Kite so close.

Swallow-tailed Kite

That elation was soon changed as we watched as the Kite swung around and dived an oak. Northern Mockingbirds scattered as the bird dove in and tried to grab chicks from a nest. Emily began to yell, "Nooooo!" Her joy was quickly turning to terror as this raptor tried to find a meal.

Swallow-tailed Kite

The Kite was not successful in grabbing a bird but continued to soar around the area as I got shots.

Swallow-tailed Kite

Another Swallow-tailed Kite soon joined in and they swooped along in the poor light in the mid-morning.

Swallow-tailed Kite

It has been a while since I have had a Swallow-tailed Kite this close and was thrilled to get some photos during a brief break from work.

Swallow-tailed Kite

This pair must be nesting nearby. Wonder where? Great to have them close by. Unfortunately, I have no windows to see what is happening outside so it was nice to have an alert to go see them.

Swallow-tailed Kite

I had to talk Emily down. Circle of Life, and all. Birds gotta eat. At least she got to be happy for a bit. Maybe I should sneak a desktop onto her computer? Nah. That would bring too many bad vibes.

No comments: