Sunday, May 01, 2016

One Bright Spot at Dad's Funeral

Haven't been out for any real birding of late but we were looking forward to Earth Day at the banding site this year. Unfortunately, my Dad passed unexpectedly the Friday before so things were thrown asunder. Rough time for all involved but we had to do what we had to do. The following week we had the viewing and funeral which were both nicely attended by friends, family, and co-workers of my Dad who all loved him deeply.

Once the funeral was over, we headed back to the gravesite to collect flowers for distribution to other family sites and I wanted to do a little birding on the grounds to clear my head. I was surprised to hear some Cedar Waxwings fly by and then a small flock of birds flew in to the oaks near Dad's grave. Had to stop and step out for a shot. An American Robin dropped down right in the road ahead of us.

American Robin

This is a very late sighting for Robins in this area as confirmed by eBird. Maybe Dad was bringing me a little bright spot during a difficult time for all of us. Glad he was there with me on some birding adventures this year. He will be truly missed by so many people in this crazy world.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Deborah C. Stearns said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are doing ok. I'm glad there was at least a little bit of a bright spot at a difficult time.