Sunday, May 08, 2016

Loads of Blackpoll Warblers

I headed out for my Saturday morning lake run and wasn't expecting much. By the time I got to Lake Lancaster I was surprised to hear a lot of warbler calls all along the shoreline. Blackpoll Warblers were feasting through the oaks all over the place. Unfortunately, they stayed back behind the branches most of the time but I got a couple of shots during a brief appearance of the males.

Blackpoll Warbler

The only other clear shot of a Blackpoll Warbler was right by the shore and then they were off again. Fast moving birds that were so hungry that they were zipping by from tree to tree.

Blackpoll Warbler

As I left the area I was surprised to find that the huge oak that was an anchor at the southern intersection had fallen over in the past day. They had been carving off limbs from time to time but I did not think it was going to collapse.

Oak

We shall see if the warblers continue into the weekend as we wind down the migration season.

No comments: