Sunday, November 29, 2015

Lake Apopka Drive, Mystery Duck

So...

As I rounded the final Western stretch of the Lake Apopka North Shore Drive I looked to me left and spotted a bird that had me stepping on the brakes rather hard. For a split second I thought it might be a goose due to the size but I soon had a different opinion once I could scan it for a bit more.

Duck

Oddly, the duck began to drift in my general direction so I could get a few shots. What was up with that white neck band? Too big for a Mallard. Bill color was all wrong, too.

Duck

Definitely some sort of duck, Big like a Muscovy but the colors and facial patterns are all wrong.

Duck

I posted the pictures to the bird forums and had an early match with a hybrid of Mallard and Muscovy from one responder. Later, others were cautious about that ID but all agree it was some sort of hybrid.

Duck

That initial ID seems correct to me but I may never find out for sure. No one else found this bird that day or later. Guess I just have to live with an interesting find for now. If you think you might now, please comment below.

No comments: