Sunday, November 01, 2015

Maitland Center

Wow. October went by quickly! Not much birding but very busy at the bird banding site. In fact, these shots were taken on the way home from a banding session.

It is that time of year when I start checking for Hooded Mergansers that return to a couple of retention ponds in Maitland Center every year. They weren't back yet but the fist bird I found was a Pied-billed Grebe feeding close to shore. It surfaced a few times, giving me a brief chance to take a snap.

Pied-billed Grebe

On the railings leaving the parking lot, a few birds were just perched. I thought for sure they would fly off as I got nearer but they stayed put and just stared at me. A pair of White Ibis were on the left side of the road. I am always mesmerized by those icy blue eyes.

White Ibis

On the righthand side of the road was a Little Blue Heron panting in the warming morning air. We have been having a lot of temperatures in the 80s and it doesn't appear that it will cool down any time soon.

Little Blue Heron

No Hoodies but an interesting jaunt through a parking lot.

No comments: