Friday, November 27, 2015

Lake Apopka Drive, Part 1

Another busy month is almost gone and I finally get a chance to go out to do some birding. I took the opportunity of a Friday after Thanksgiving to head back out to the Lake Apopka North Shore drive. I arrived just after sunrise and was greeted by my friend Paul Hueber who was searching for the Lark Sparrow that was seen the day before.

No sign of the sparrow. Maybe due to a fluffy Red-shouldered Hawk sitting in the nearby trees.

Red-shouldered Hawk

A bit farther down the drive I saw a pair of photographers getting out of their car. They wanted a closer shot of another Red-shouldered Hawk. This one was sitting on the wires. Kind of odd for a hawk to do.

Red-shouldered Hawk

Belted Kingfishers were all over the place this morning. Of course, they hardly sit still long enough for a photo and are so skittish that I am happy to have at least a couple of distant shots.

Belted Kingfisher

Just when I was thinking I might not see too many Ospreys I found one munching on the last bits of breakfast.

Osprey

Not too much farther ahead I found another staring out at the lake.

Osprey

Over in the canal, a Pied-billed Grebe kept a watchful eye on me as I slowed for a photo.

Pied-billed Grebe

Male Red-winged Blackbirds were very approachable today and feeding on grasses on several stops along the way.

Red-winged Blackbird

I think this American Alligator had too much Thanksgiving dinner last night. He can barely move.

American Alligator

Nearing the pump house, a Palm Warbler stops for a moment on the power lines.

Palm Warbler

I took a walk down the path along the lake but didn't find too much except for a couple of Ospreys drifting by in search of their next meal.

Osprey

A slightly beaten up Viceroy was the only this of interest as I headed back toward the car.

Viceroy

A Double-crested Cormorant preened as it spread its wings to dry out.

Double-crested Cormorant

Another Belted Kingfisher was above the bridge leading away from the pump house but I had to take my shot through the windshield so it wouldn't take off.

Belted Kingfisher

The nerve of some birds. This Great Egret took its sweet time crossing in front of me as I reached the halfway point in the drive. There was an interesting duck just past this spot but I will save that tale for a future post.

Great Egret

The last bird of this first part will be a nicely lit Glossy Ibis that was poking around for a snack.

Glossy Ibis

Take a break. Part Two is right around the corner.

No comments: