Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Lake Birds

Too many days spent job searching leaves me little time to do much birding lately. I finally decided to take an hour or so and walk Lake Davis after a quick drive around a couple other spots to see what I could see. First thing I noticed was a Pied-billed Grebe cruising around Lake Weldona. Pied-billed Grebes are coming back in large numbers now and I love seeing them diving in the local lakes.

Pied-billed Grebe

Over behind the grocery store I found a nice collection of Ring-necked Ducks. No other ducks there. Yet.

Ring-necked Duck

I got over to Lake Davis and walked around to find an interesting duck resting by the edge of the water. Looks like some kind of hybrid but I am not sure what this mix is. Just looks different to me for now. Inquiries are out to see what it might be.

Duck

There were many Blue-winged Teals out in the water and on the shore. I was concerned that the new construction would chase off some ducks but they are filtering in despite the extra sediment pushed into the lake.

Blue-winged Teal

The lighting wasn't the best but I can't resist trying to get a shot of the male teals when they are this close. Plus, I love those mottled feathers on these birds.

Blue-winged Teal

American Coots are also arriving in larger numbers and they are sometimes overlooked but alway fun to watch.

American Coot

Western Palm Warblers are also around in growing numbers and I love watching their twitching tails and fast feeding behaviors.

Western Palm Warbler

Even wind-blown warblers are fun to watch. Makes it hard to get a shot when the branches are dipping up and down, though.

Western Palm Warbler

I wasn't looking for a new swan shot but baby drifted by in between the cypress trees as I watched for other birds.

Mute Swan

I need to make time to get back out when I can. All work and no play...

No comments: